Zelenz Academy offers:
- Multiple subject tutoring services
- Academic research assistance
- Private homeschool options
- Virtual School
- Private and group music lessons
To learn more about the academic programs, please follow this link: Zelenz Academy
Online and in person private lessons available!
I have been teaching private lessons to children and adults for over 18 years. My experience in private teaching, public school classrooms (credentialed music teacher - band and choir) and colleges (music professor - theory and history) render me very versatile in understanding the various factors which impact individual learning and motivation. My students thoroughly enjoy their lessons and have a very long-standing continuation in pursuing their goals as a result. Discontinuation of lessons has much to do with uninspired teaching and student-teacher disconnect. My students feel very understood and my authenticity in communication is refreshing for many.
I am not a teacher who pushes students who are not interested into doing competitions, however, I sincerely support and challenge each student with their own goals and ambitions. My students have won awards and performed in many competitions, live performances and television.
I'm a classically trained musician who has also taken it to deeper levels by investigating and thoroughly researching other methodologies which are both technically sound and utilize healthy approaches to sustain performance health and longevity. Inappropriate technique or unhealthy approaches to technique can actually limit or permanently damage your ability to sing or play. As such, healthy technique is my highest priority.
I do follow a structured repertoire, however, I am very flexible in meeting the interests and needs of individual students. My students are not stifled by unilateral methodology approaches. my expertise in the music field also offers my students deeper insight into the cultural, historical, and practical applications of everything they study with me. My students learn theory and composition as part of their instrument lessons.
I highly recommend piano lessons for all voice students as well. This renders them much more able to help themselves rehearse at home. CDs are utilized, but basic keyboarding skills are a true essential for any serious vocal student. However, vocal lessons are offered independently of piano lessons. The decision to take both is up to the student.
Private Lessons Offered: Voice, Piano, Composition, Music Theory, Song-Writing.
Group lessons in history, theory, composition, chorus/show choir, band or group piano are also available. Specialized arrangements for homeschool groups are offered as well.
I work with students who are a minimum of 4 years old and I welcome adults just as equally.
To inquire about lesson schedules, rates, and to answer any questions you may have, please call Shella at 760-895-5622.
Ready to start? Click the Registration button above and get started! I will contact you shortly to work out the details with you!
Music Teaching Career Highlights:
Taught show choir, chamber, beginning and advanced chorus, Jazz band, 7-12th grade band, guitar, percussion classes, brass classes, and elementary music.
Taught private voice, piano and flute lessons in studios and in private homes
Multiple first place trophy performances of choirs and bands taught/directed
Started a brand new chorus program at school districts that had only high school performing arts programs.
Songwriter/choral arranger/band arranger
Teach Music Fundamentals (beginning music theory)
Teach American Music History online
Teach Music Appreciation
Class sizes ranging from 5-75 students
Created private composition classes and choirs for homeschool groups
Multiple performance venues including Poway Performing Arts Center, Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Knott’s Berry Farm, San Diego Wild Animal Park, Bonita Vista Fantasy Festival, Heritage Festival in San Francisco, and Travis Ranch Show Choir Competition
10 Plays produced
Taught K-12 General Music
Taught 9-12 Chorus
Taught 6-8 Chorus
Taught online lessons
Groups that I have performed with or am or have been a member of:
- Casa Italiana Opera Company, Los Angeles, CA
- Desert Repertory Theater, Rancho Mirage, CA
- American Songwriters, Composers, Authors and Publishers – ASCAP
- Temecula Valley Master Chorale, Temecula, CA
- Bay Area Choral Harmonies, Oakland, CA
- The Sacred & Profane, Berkeley, CA
- West Bay Opera, Palo Alto, CA
- San Jose Symphonic Choir, San Jose, CA
- California Opera Association, San Francisco, CA
- American Choral Directors Association –ACDA
- Music Educators National Conference – MENC
- Ottawa Choral Society, (directed by Iwan Edwards and guest conducted by Trevor Pinnock – St. Matthew Passion, National Arts Centre, 1996) Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Bach Chorale (Gunther Schueller, Director), Bach Festival – Spokane, WA
- Spokane Allied Arts Festival, Spokane, WA
- Sandpoint Music Festival (Gunther Schueller, Director), Sandpoint, ID
- Miles City Music Group, Miles City, MT
- Miles City Community Orchestra, Miles City, MT
- Spokane Symphony Chorale, Spokane, WA
Sample video of a live lesson with 14 year old student Juliann Namson (followed by a live performance given by her at age 11 - she has not had vocal instruction from any other teacher):